The First Time Homebuyers (FTHB) Down Payment Assistance Program is offered by Monterey County and funded by HOME funds provided by the state of California. This program is available for eligible properties in the unincorporated parts of Monterey County.
The amount of assistance cannot exceed the lesser of the maximum HOME subsidy limit, 20% of the sale price of the property, or the amount needed determined by underwriting criteria. This is a loan to help cover the costs of the down payment.
In order to be eligible for this program, individuals must be first-time homebuyers, have not owned a home in the previous three years, and put down a minimum of 3.5% of the sale price for the down payment from their own funds.
In order for a house to be eligible, it must be the homebuyer’s primary residence and cannot have more than 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, or a 2-car garage.
Other programs in California:
- MyHome Assistance Program
- Brentwood Down Payment Assistance Program
- Emeryville First Time Homebuyer Loan Program
- GSFA Platinum Program
- CalHome Program
- First Home Mortgage Program
- Santa Ana Downpayment Assistance Program
- Riverside Down Payment Assistance Program
- School Teacher Employee Assistance Program