Offered by the Illinois Housing Development Authority, 1stHomeIllinois offers mortgages and down payment grants to eligible applicants. This down payment grant is for the amount of $7,500.
In order to qualify, the applicant must be a first-time homebuyer or a veteran. They are also required to fall under certain income limits. A minimum of $1,000 (or 1% of the sale price of the house – whichever is the larger amount) must be put down by the applicant from their own funds.
Applicants will also be required to undergo homeownership counseling, which can be done either in person or online, as well as meet certain credit score requirements. Only primary residences under a certain price limit can be purchased using this program.
The property must be located in Boone, Cook, DeKalb, Fulton, Kane, Marion, McHenry, St. Clair, Will or Winnebago county. Only one or two-unit, existing residential dwellings are allowed.
Other programs in Illinois:
- Down Payment Plus Programs
- HOMEbuyer Program
- Chicago Home Buyer Assistance Program
- City of Alton’s Homeownership Program
- Joliet Down Payment Assistance Program
- Kane County First-Time Homebuyer Program
- Normal Homebuyer’s Down Payment Assistance Program
- Romeoville Assist Program