The Rensselaer County Homebuyer Program (RCHP) is offered by the Troy Rehabilitation and Improvement Program (TRIP)’s HomeOwnership Center.
Applicants must be first-time homebuyers, meet certain income requirements, and have at least $1,500 in savings. They cannot already have a purchase contract on a house and also have to be willing to commit to a 10-year grant enforcement.
Before applying for assistance, applicants must take a pre-purchase program.
Assistance is offered in the form of grants of $15,000 to $20,000, and can be used for down payments and/or closing costs.
Houses purchased using the program must be located in Rensselaer County, but not in Troy city limits, owner occupied, and have one or two units. The price of the home must also not exceed 95% of the median purchase price for the area. Properties also must be inspected for code compliance and certain health violations.
Income Limits as of 2020:
- 1 person household: $46,550
- 2 person household: $53,200
- 3 person household: $59,850
- 4 person household: $66,500
- 5 person household: $71,850
- 6 person household: $77,150
- 7 person household: $82,500
- 8 person household: $87,800
Other programs in New York:
- First Home Club Matched Savings Program
- ACRHA Acquisition/Rehabilitation Grant
- Homebuyer Incentive Program
- Home Acquisition Program
- First Time Home Buyer’s Program
- Housing Opportunities Foundation Individual Grant Program